Monday, February 16, 2009

So this is That's News To Me!

Hello everyone!

So I decided to start a blog. I know. Me? A blog? I'm usually against anything that is computer or computer-oriented. I'm just not that technologically savvy. But I've come to a realization: I'm going to be a friggin' journalist! And this means two things, a.) I have to work on my people skills (or, in other words, be nicer to... people.) and b.) I have to become technologically savvy. I've also come to realize all future journalists have blogs. So, here I am. Typing away and putting myself out there for all to read. Wish me luck!

The first major struggle in creating this blog was deciding what it would be about. Stories about my family or cutesy pictures of my dog just wouldn't do. Anyone who knows me knows that that just isn't me (but a quick shout-out to my awesome dog Kiko! You rock!) Since I'm aiming to become a journalist I wanted to write about news, without boring my potential readers to death. I decided on "That's News To Me!", a blog about international, national, and local news, as well as USC on-campus news, and anything in my own life that I find important enough to post.

Wow! All this power's going to my head!

But to prevent that from happening, I encourage comments and suggestions! Want to hear my take on something? Let me know! I am quite opinionated after all... Have a comment on something I've written? Let me know! The internet used to be a scary place to me, with all the interactivity and real-time communication (scary, right?), but I totally welcome it now! So take a minute, have a read, and send me some feedback. It will be much appreciated.

Finally, I want my blog to be an open forum for social issues. If there is one thing I want to accomplish as a journalist, it's to make people think about the problems of the world and what they can do to help fix them, even if that means just realizing that they're there.

So this is what That's News To Me! will be. I love writing, and may even throw some creative posts in here once in a while. News can also be uptight or depressing, so I want to share lighter pieces as well. Enjoy and check back soon!

(p.s. I also want a cool catchphrase as a sign-off. Any ideas? I'm all ears!)

4 comments:

  1. So why now?
    why would you start this now?

    Is there any hints on what certain
    news you will be mentioning here?

    It sounds like a great idea though.

    I wish you all the luck!

    -Fr4nk027

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This seems like perfect place to opinions, ideas, and out-right randomness if you ask me. Before long, this will replace my regular traffic at The Economist and Yahoo News!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here's your first three hot topics at hand:

    More Important --> 1) Since the financial bailout stimulus package is now through, I'd like to hear your thoughts.

    I believe expansionary fiscal policy is the only real way the government can help pull us out of the recession.

    Discuss please.

    Just Interesting --> 2)I recently helped a friend return all the stuff he ordered from several companies in order to get a free macbook air, and it occurred to me that the things we returned and canceled seemed mostly scams in and amongst themselves. But a couple things came from at least semi-reputable companies; for example, few of the things he seemed to be "forced" to sign up for turned out to be a Netflix free trial, the Wall Street Journal, and a few other name brands.

    The scams are relatively simple. They say that in order to "qualify" for the prize, you must agree to activate or try several different products which can be returned in 14 days or, if you don't cancel, they'll charge you for the item. Since you pay shipping and handling, it's pretty low risk for the company, unless you just don't pay. Then, the very last one requires some huge purchase in order to get the prize. Say a vacation for four or something. This guarantees that the companies aforementioned will get plenty of traffic, and will pay the host of the scam for it. The scammer usually doesn't give out the prize, since the final requirements are incredibly expensive in and of themselves, usually substantially more than the prize is worth.

    So, why would the Wall Street Journal agree to pay for that kind of business? I mean, I understand something like a television ad, and I also understand the whole "trial period" business. But what I don't understand is how they could participate in what is clearly misleading? No, the scams don't necessarily lie, because they will, in fact, send you a free computer if you buy a new house from their final requirement. However, how many people could really say that the websites aren't misleading?

    I understand the legality of it perfectly well, but frankly I underestimated the lack of ethical responsibility these companies hold. It'd be interesting to figure out a way to legally restrict it, but I doubt it. Wondered if you guys would give any input.

    Really Cool --> 3) LA High goes to State!

    ReplyDelete